The Cabinet of Ministers on Monday, September 18, registered draft law No. 10066 in the Verkhovna Rada "About packaging and packaging waste", which introduces extended producer responsibility (EPR).
The document provides for the creation of registers of manufacturers of packaged goods, reports the representative of the government in the Verkhovna Rada Taras Melnychuk on Telegram.
He said that the draft law defines legal, economic and organizational principles in the field of packaging and its waste management in order to reduce the negative impact on human health and the environment. The document also establishes measures for the creation of a system for the collection and recycling of packaging waste in order to reduce the amount of disposal of such waste to landfills and promote the transition to a circular economy.
The document defines:
- the circle of subjects and their obligations in the field of packaging and packaging waste management;
- basic requirements for putting packaging, goods in packaging into circulation, labeling to reduce the level of hazardous substances in packaging and promote its recycling;
- requirements for the establishment and activities of organizations of extended responsibility of producers (ORVV), their obligations and grounds and the procedure for terminating their activities;
- minimum target indicators for packaging waste recycling by type of packaging material and categories of packaging (domestic and commercial) with their gradual increase during the development of the packaging waste management system;
- peculiarities of contracts of ORVV with business entities in the field of packaging waste management;
- control and liability for violations.
In addition, draft law No. 10066 introduces registers of producers of goods in packaging and ORVV. And also implements the gradual coverage of the entire territory of the country with systems for the separate collection of packaging waste and the interaction of local self-government bodies with ORVV.
Earlier, EcoPolitic wrote, that in April the team of the Ministry of Environmental Protection and Natural Resources finished work on the draft law "On packaging and packaging waste".
As EcoPolitic previously reported, on September 15, the Cabinet of Ministers approved the draft law "On packaging and packaging waste".