In Lviv region, the Western Bug and Xiang Rivers Basin Water Resources Administration checked the quality of surface water at 23 monitoring points in the Vistula River basin in October and found the worst quality in six rivers, including the Poltva and Western Bug.
Compared to September 2023, water quality has deteriorated in these rivers, and the content of pesticides has also increased significantly in the Western Bug, the Department of Ecology and Natural Resources of the Lviv Regional State Administration reports on Facebook.
It is noted that physicochemical and chemical quality indicators, including the content, are determined in the rivers:
- organic and biogenic substances;
- heavy metals;
- polyaromatic and halogenated hydrocarbons;
The lowest water quality was found in rivers:
- Poltva – by the content of dissolved oxygen, organic, biogenic substances, SPAR (synthetic surfactants), pesticides, halogenated hydrocarbons;
- Western Bug (below the mouth of the Poltva) – according to the content of organic and biogenic substances;
- Pig (below the city of Zhovkva) – according to the content of organic, biogenic substances and polyaromatic hydrocarbons;
- Marunka (below the city of Vinnyki), Malekhivka (village of Malekhiv), Zolochivka (below the city of Zolochiv) – according to the content of organic and biogenic substances.
The message emphasized that, compared to September, the quality of water also deteriorated in the rivers Rata, Moschanka, Bleh and in the Kiysky stream. The concentration of polyaromatic hydrocarbons in the Svynia River also increased significantly.
The highest water quality was found in the Vyar (Vyhor) river.
It is noted that the chemical composition and quality of water, in addition to anthropogenic load, are also influenced by hydrometeorological factors, in particular, the amount of precipitation.
"In order to improve the quality of water, active steps are needed to solve the problem of river pollution with sewage. The implementation of measures for the construction/reconstruction of water treatment facilities and sewerage in populated areas of the region will ensure the elimination of pollution of rivers with untreated sewage, which in turn will improve their water quality," said the Acting Director. Oksana Viytyk, director of the department.
Earlier, EcoPolitic wrote, that in Lviv region in June, the worst water quality was found in six rivers, in particular in Poltava.
As EcoPolitic previously reported, residents of Kryvyi Rih complained about the periodic pollution of the river Saksagan by sewage effluents from a well in the Terniv district and the spread of an unpleasant smell near residential buildings.