The number of dolphins killed in the war in Ukraine. Photo facebook.com/rusevivan

The number of dolphins killed in the war in Ukraine. Photo

Katerina Belousova

The actual data on dead Black Sea dolphins is greatly underestimated

Scientists of the national nature park Tuzlivski Lymani in Odesa region, estimated that during the full-scale war in the Black Sea, at least 5,000 dolphins died.

Last week, on the coast of the national park, the sea took out dolphins azovka and white-sided, and another white-sided dolphin to the Odesa beach, reports the biologist of the NNP Tuzlivski lymany Ivan Rusev in Facebook.

facebook.com/rusevivan

facebook.com/rusevivan

facebook.com/rusevivan

He explained that the sea throws no more than 5% of all dead animals ashore. The remaining 95% goes to the bottom of the sea, which makes it impossible to register them.

They are not available for detection and counting from the shore, so scientists believe that probably tens of thousands of dolphins have already died during the war.

In addition, having appeared on the coast, a dead dolphin may disappear the very next day. Although there are exceptions, when corpses can lie for a long time.

Rusev noted that due to these factors, the actual data on dead Black Sea dolphins is greatly underestimated, since it is practically impossible to find and include in the total number of all animals thrown into the sea.

"Despite the terrible consequences of the rash for people and for dolphins, for wildlife, nature will still recover," he added.

Earlier, EcoPolitic wrote, that in Odesa region, two more bottlenose dolphins were washed up on the coast of the national natural park Tuzlivski lymani, who became victims of the war. One of them was again taken to the depths of the sea by the current, the other by jackals.

As EcoPolitic previously reported, scientists believe that in Ukraine, the restoration of the dolphin population after the war will take up to 50 years, provided that protected areas are created and there are no poachers.

Related
Criminal proceedings are opened for the destruction of a unique gopher colony
Criminal proceedings are opened for the destruction of a unique gopher colony

Only a part of one of the most important colonies remained

How to restore the dolphin population in the Black Sea
How to restore the dolphin population in the Black Sea

Dolphins give birth once a year or two, and only one cub is born

Conservationists want to restore the nature of Zmiiny Island
Conservationists want to restore the nature of Zmiiny Island

Environmentalists also call for the creation of new protected areas in the Odesa region in places close to the victims on Zmiiny, in particular rocks and steppes