In the air of Kyiv during the week from July 25 to 30, 2022, an excess of the average daily maximum permissible concentrations of nitrogen dioxide up to 4.8 times and formaldehyde up to 4.4 times was found.
Compared to the previous week the level of formaldehyde, nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide pollution increased, says the weekly report on air pollution from the Borys Sreznevsky Central Geophysical Observatory.
According to the observatory, the maximum permissible concentration (MPC) exceeded by the average daily content of nitrogen dioxide last week was:
- 3.5-4.8 times – on Peremoha and Demiivska Squares, Engineer Borodin Street;
- 2.3-2.9 times – on Bessarabska Square, Peremogy and Obolonsky Avenues, Lesya Ukrainka Boulevard, in the Hydropark area, Akademika Strazheska, Dovzhenka, Popudrenka, and Kaunaska streets;
- no excesses were observed at 37 Nauky Ave. (in the area of the meteorological station).
Exceeding the MPC by average daily formaldehyde content:
- 3.2-4.4 times – on Demiivska, Bessarabska, and Peremoha squares, Obolonskyi and Peremoha avenues, Lesya Ukrainka boulevard, in the Hydropark area, Dovzhenka and Kaunaska streets;
- 1.8-3.0 times – on Nauky avenue, Akademika Strazheska and Popudrenka streets.
Other exceedances of MPC by average daily content:
- suspended solids – 1.0 times on Bessarabska Square, Kaunaska Street ;
- carbon monoxide – 1.0-1.9 times on Demiivska Square, Peremogy Avenue (Sviatoshin metro area), Akademik Strazheska (intersection with Vaclav Havel Boulevard) and Inzhener Borodin streets .
Experts of the observatory selected and analyzed 1553 atmospheric air samples from 15 stationary posts.
According to the forecast of the Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Center, in the next two to three days, the changeable nature of the weather with rains, a decrease in air temperature will contribute to the cleaning of the surface layer of the atmosphere from harmful impurities.