President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskyy has approved the decision of the National Security and Defense Council of Ukraine "On Additional Measures to Strengthen the Sustainability of the Energy System and Prepare the National Economy for the Autumn-Winter Period of 2023/24".
Among other things, the decision provides for stimulating the production of thermal energy from alternative sources and the production of biomethane, according to the President's official website.
The NSDC decision provides for the submission to the Verkhovna Rada within two months of a draft law on amendments to the law "On Heat Supply." The changes should stimulate the production of thermal energy from alternative fuels.
The document also requires the government to provide support in the parliament until it is adopted:
- draft law No. 9596 "On amendments to the Tax Code of Ukraine regarding the establishment of a zero hryvnia environmental tax rate for carbon dioxide emissions for installations that produce such emissions as a result of burning biofuel";
- Draft Law No. 9597 "On Amendments to the Law of Ukraine "On Alternative Fuels" regarding the creation of a register of installations that use biofuel as the only type of fuel".
In addition, the decision provides for the implementation of biomethane production projects by the end of 2024 to support the sustainable passage of heating seasons.
The Cabinet was assigned for six months approve the action plan for:
- support for thermal modernization of buildings;
- energy modernization of enterprises-producers of thermal energy;
- energy modernization of water supply and drainage enterprises.
And, together with the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, to develop a new version of the National Plan for Reducing Emissions from Large Combustion Plants within a six-month period.
In addition, within a month local administrations have:
- to analyze the potential for maximum increase in the use and production (mining) of alternative fuels;
- find opportunities to attract the resources of territorial communities to overcome crisis situations in the energy sector.
Earlier, EcoPolitic wrote, that Deputy Minister of Agrarian Policy and Food Vitaliy Holovnia stated that Ukrainian business is interested in production of biomethane, and its export, in particular to European markets, will become an important tool for the development of the industry.
As EcoPolitic previously reported, the Ministry of Energy published the text of the draft resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers "On the introduction of guarantees of the origin of electric energy, produced from renewable energy sources".