ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih PJSC was established 87% of all industrial emissions of the city for 9 months of 2023.
During this time, the volume of emissions of pollutants into the air decreased by 14% (54.22 thousand tons), compared to the same period in 2022, and the volume of production decreased by 17%, reports the Department of Ecology of the Executive Committee of the Kryvorizka City Council on Facebook.
The message emphasized that the contribution of other enterprises to air pollution amounted to:
- 3.43% – PJSC "Northern Mining";
- 3.36% – PJSC "Kryviy Rig Cement";
- 2.93% – PJSC "Central Mining";
- 3.28% – other enterprises.
It is noted that for 9 months of 2023, compared to 2022, the average monthly concentration of pollutants did not change in terms of content:
- sulfur dioxide;
- carbon monoxide;
Average monthly concentrations of the following substances decreased:
- nitrogen dioxide – by 25%;
- dust – by 23%;
- nitrogen oxide – by 20%;
- formaldehyde – by 14%.
In the message, it was emphasized that within the framework of the implementation of the City Environmental Program, enterprises are implementing projects in the field of atmospheric air protection. Thus, measures to suppress dust from the dusty surfaces of dumps and tailings storage facilities were carried out on an area of 286.2 hectares, in particular:
- PJSC "INGZK" – 52.7 hectares of tailings storage with the use of surface-active substances, bischofite solution, covering with rock rocks has been secured. Greening of the tailings storage facility on an area of 54 hectares was carried out by sowing rye and a mixture of "Active sludge of biological water treatment" of the treatment facilities of "NADEZHA L" LLC.
- PJSC "PIVNGZK" – 13.7 ha of tailings storage was fixed with the help of humate solution and landscaping of the tailings storage on an area of 17.6 hectares;
- PJSC "ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih" – consolidation of industrial territories with bischofite solution on 125.7 ha. In cooperation with KNU NDGRI, a test of the technology of fixing the slopes of the dump with a hydromix with seeds of perennial grasses was conducted.
- JSC "PIVDGZK" – industrial trials of treatment of areas of tailings ponds using 4 different dust-binding substances on 22,535 ha.
In order to reduce the man-made impact of blasting operations in quarries on the environment, enterprises carry out:
- PJSC "PIVNGZK", PJSC "INGZK", LLC "Rudomain", PJSC "CGZK" – on a permanent basis, a humate-based reagent is used;
- PJSC "ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih" – testing the effectiveness of dust and gas suppression with hydrogel during a mass explosion and introducing its use on a permanent basis;
- JSC "PIVDGZK" – production tests of the dust-binding reagent of the foaming agent were conducted.
Earlier, EcoPolitic wrote, that in Kryvyi Rih for 9 months of 2023, the volumes of industrial waste generation amounted to 81 million tons, and disposal – 47.4 million tons (decrease by 12%).
As EcoPolitic previously reported, in Kryvyi Rih in 2022, the amount of emissions of pollutants into the atmosphere air reached 65.8 thousand tons, which is 71% less than in 2021. PJSC "ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih" became the biggest polluter – 88.5% of the total volume of emissions.