In Cherkasy, according to the regional center for hydrometeorology, air pollution with ammonia decreased by 2.4 times in October compared to September.
The concentration of polluting substances exceeded the maximum one-time maximum permissible concentration by 0.6-1 times, reports Cherkasy City Council.
It is noted that experts analyzed 483 atmospheric air samples for the content of 17 harmful impurities, namely:
- the most common substances: dust, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide;
- specific inorganic substances: ammonia, nitrogen oxide, hydrogen sulfide, sulfates;
- heavy metals: cadmium, iron, manganese, copper, nickel, lead, chromium, zinc;
- of organic compounds: formaldehyde.
In October, no cases of high air pollution in more than 5 MPC were detected.
Value of maximum concentrations by content:
- dust – 1.0 MPC at all posts;
- carbon monoxide – 0.6 MPC at PSZ No. 4 (October 6);
- sulfur dioxide – 0.06 MPC at PSZ No. 3 (October 12);
- nitrogen dioxide – 0.5 MPC at PSZ No. 3 (October 6);
- nitrogen oxide – 0.13 MPC at PSZ No. 4 (October 2);
- hydrogen sulfide – 0.5 MPC at PSZ No. 2 (October 5);
- ammonia – 0.5 MPC at PSZ No. 2 (October 14);
- formaldehyde – 0.69 MPC at PSZ No. 3 (October 5).
Compared to September 2023:
maximum concentrations increased:
- dust – on all posts;
- ammonia at PSZ No. 2, 4 – by 1.1 times;
maximum concentrations decreased:
- of carbon monoxide at PSZ No. 4 in – 1.3 times;
- hydrogen sulfide – on all posts;
- ammonia at PSZ No. 3 – 2.4 times;
- of nitrogen dioxide at PSZ No. 3 — in 1.7 tons;
- of formaldehyde at PSZ No. 3 – by 1.5 times.
"The pollution index was 5.33 (calculated on the basis of monthly average concentrations of dust, ammonia, formaldehyde, nitrogen dioxide, nitrogen oxide). It decreased by 1.75 times due to a decrease in the average monthly concentrations of ammonia, nitrogen dioxide and formaldehyde," the report said.
Average monthly concentrations were:
- dust – 1.3 MPC at all posts;
- sulfur dioxide – 0.24-0.26 MPC;
- nitrogen dioxide – 0.75 MPC at all posts;
- carbon monoxide – 0.33 MPC at all stations;
- nitrogen oxide – 0.33 MPC at PSZ No. 4;
- ammonia – 0.5-0.75 MPC;
- of formaldehyde – 1.67 MPC at PSZ No. 3.
"The first half of October was characterized by moderately warm and almost dry weather, which contributed to the accumulation of harmful impurities in the atmospheric air," the message explained.
As EcoPolitic reported earlier, according to the WHO, 99% of the world's population breathes air that does not meet quality standards, which causes up to 7 million deaths every year due to problems with breathing and blood flow.